However, Ray Glaze was the moving force behind this bread and we worked together to produce it. He also named it Pink Wig in honor of Sue. May this bread also honor all survivors and victims of cancer.
This 100% Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread is made using a 100% hydration starter. Bakers often keep their wholegrain starters at 100% hydration, so you won’t have to do any conversions on this recipe.
Sue’s Pink Wig Sourdough:
Start by feeding your sourdough starter the night before making the preferment, then the morning of the preferment mixing day, feed your starter again in the morning. Then late in the evening before retiring, mix up your preferment using:
- Whole Wheat Starter @ 100% 9oz/255g (feed starter in the morning)
- Water 12oz/340g
- Whole Wheat flour 12 oz/340g (make sure this is not freshly ground flour)
- salt .2oz/5.7g
- All of the preferment- 2lbs 1.2 oz/941g @ 100%
- Water- 10 oz/283g
- Whole Wheat flour- 22 oz/623g (not freshly ground)
- Salt- .5/14g -no need to autolyse
210 grams 100% starter
275 grams water
275 grams whole wheat flour
4 grams salt
follow formula on web site and then add:
all of the preferment
240 grams of water
520 grams whole wheat flour
12 grams salt
Continue with directions above.
Makes 1536 grams ( some is for sticking to the hands and bowl)
Divide into two loaves at around 750 grams each at 68.9% hydration