These sourdough brownies are quick, easy and taste super! They use only fermented sourdough starter so the flour in them is completely fermented. When you need a quick dessert and brownies sounds just right, and when do they ever sound wrong? then whip these up and serve them warm with some whipped cream, your favorite icing or plain, they’re that good!
Easy Sourdough Brownies
- Unsweetened Baking Chocolate – 113 grams (I used one bar of Ghirardelli)
- Sugar – 222 grams
- Oil – 95 grams
- Vanilla extract – 5 grams
- 3 large eggs – 142 grams (approximate).
- Pinch of sea salt about 1/4 tsp (don’t use salt if you substituted salted melted butter for the oil).
- Baking soda 1/2 teaspoon
- Sourdough starter @ 100% hydration – 150 grams (I used mine at peak but you could use discard if you wish). Feed your starter with an All Purpose flour or a lower protein flour before using in this formula (for tender brownies).
Chop your chocolate into chunks.
Melt the chocolate. I used the microwave and it took two minutes with stopping the microwave and taking the chocolate out and stirring it twice. Give it a good stirring when it’s melted.
Add the sugar (don’t cut down the amount), oil, vanilla, eggs, salt and soda. Whip all ingredients together. Add sourdough starter. Mix just until it comes together and no more.
Pour the batter into an oiled pan about 9 – 9.5″ in diameter (mine was 9.5″).
Bake at 350F/176C for 20 – 25 minutes. Check often after the first 18 minutes, it’s critical NOT to overbake. The brownies are done when a knife or toothpick inserted in the center slides out clean.
When the brownies come out of the oven they will be puffed up but will shrink after they cool a bit.
Slice when you can no longer stand it and enjoy! I couldn’t get the first one out of the pan without it falling apart since these brownies are so tender. They firm up more once they are cooled.
Happy Baking Everyone! Teresa
Interested in taking a course to learn to bake real sourdough? See here.
For up to date information on what’s baking join my newsletter.